06 January 2010

Working Girl



When I started my new job I began receiving emails from the Women in Management Association. This occurred due to an administrative error and not because they discovered I cried during Beaches. What follows is a series of email conversations I had with Cindy from the Women in Management Association.


From: Cindy
Sent: Monday, 16 November 2009 12:08 PM
To: Women in Management Email list
Subject: Are you interested in supporting young women gain success in work and life?

Hi Everyone
I hope you all enjoyed the Women in Management meeting last week!

Please see below an email from YWCA, seeking female mentors for young women.

If you are interested, please contact me.

Regards
Cindy
_____________________________________________-
From: David
Sent: Monday, 16 November 2009 12:11 PM
To: Cindy
Subject: RE: Are you interested in supporting young women gain success in work and life?

Hello Cindy

I just noticed that I am on the Working Women email list (I presume Admin or IT copied a female colleague’s email lists when setting my email up when I began work recently).

As I am not a woman, and I am not currently considering a change to become one, I should probably not be on this list.

Can you remove me from this list?

Regards

David

_____________________________________________
From: Cindy
Sent: Monday, 16 November 2009 12:13 PM
To: David
Subject: RE: Are you interested in supporting young women gain success in work and life?

Hi David
Thanks for the notification – will take you off the list.
You are always welcome to come and join the ‘better’ gender!
Cindy

A week later however I was evidently still on the list...
_____________________________________________
From: Cindy
Sent: Tuesday, 24 November 2009 6:08 PM
To: Women in Management Email list
Subject: Women in Management Lunch


Hi Everyone


I still have some seats left if people would like to go the Women in Management Lunch – Please let me know by COB tomorrow if you would like to go.

Cindy
_____________________________________________
From: David
Sent: Thursday, 26 November 2009 9:41 AM
To: Cindy
Subject: RE: Women in Management


Cindy...

Have you left me on the Women in Management email list to tempt me to join the better gender?

It will not work I tell you!


_____________________________________________
From: Cindy
Sent: Thursday, 26 November 2009 10:58 AM
To: David
Subject: RE: A few things


Man!!!! (no pun intended)….I have taken your name off about 6 times, and it keeps reappearing!!!!

I think its you – you really want to come to the other side don’t you……you keep adding your name back onto the list…..

Sorry!!!! I will see what I can do, but maybe you should just give up and come along!

Cindy



Perhaps I should Cindy, perhaps I should. Another email sent to Women in Management arrived in my inbox just before Christmas.

From: Cindy
Sent: Tuesday, 22 December 2009 8:40 PM
To: Women in Management Email list
Subject: Last email from me this year....


Hi Everyone
Just a quick email before I go on leave…woo hoo!

Thank you to those that responded to the survey on the Women in Leadership Action Plan. We are well on our way in developing the next action plan, and we have some really exciting and innovative ideas!

Merry Christmas!
Cindy

_____________________________________________
From: David
Sent: Wednesday, 23 December 2009 9:10 AM
To: Cindy
Subject: RE: Last email from me this year....


Merry Christmas Cindy!
_____________________________________________
From: Cindy
Sent: Wednesday, 23 December 2009 10:23 AM
To: David
Subject: RE: Last email from me this year....

You know, I checked the list again, your name was on it again, so I deleted it again....and you still got it again.....

My female intuition tells me you should be a special honorary member of the Women in Management Association!

Merry Christmas to you too David!

2 comments:

  1. I agree ... you deserve to be an honorary member of the Women in Management Association. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that is one way to meet affirmative action percentage targets...make men honorary women!

    I would look bitchin' in a short skirt and heels!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Visit Counter