01 February 2010

Nanny McPhee and the Office Nightmare



Last night I had a work-related nightmare. The frightening ghoul that disturbed my slumber came in the inelegant form of a co-worker at a previous workplace whom I had nicknamed Grey Rae. Grey Rae was so called because both her personality and dress were far from colourful. It is difficult to describe Grey Rae facially or physically without exaggerating or being unnecessarily cruel but it would not be inaccurate for me to say that she would not have looked out of place in a Breugel painting, perhaps as a peasant woman selling tubers from a barrel. In my dream Grey Rae’s features had been distorted so that she resembled, physically, a law office version of Nanny Mc Phee. Regrettably while Grey Rae had morphed into the foul warted and exuberantly nosed appearance of Nanny McPhee she did not bring with it the singular Nanny’s plucky personality and subtle charm. In my dream Grey Rae merely turned in her swivel chair towards me repeating with increasing anger and loudness, “I would never renew your contract!” I would never renew your contract! I would never renew your contract!” Hilarious! I woke up distressed until I realised that I am no longer at that job and that, regardless, Grey Rae was never in a position to negotiate my contract.



As Grey Rae is the topic of this post I cannot help but recall the image of the Grey One sitting in the asymmetrical glass office we nicknamed the penthouse. She sat staring at her computer screen with such lack of movement, intensity and concentration that to this day I am convinced that she was watching DVD’s on her computer. If she was I can assure you she was not watching a comedy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Visit Counter